Pitch Wars #PimpMyBio 2017
I can’t believe it’s that time again! Last year, I discovered Pitch Wars less than 24 hours before the submission window opened. This year, I’m fully prepared!
Let’s start with the important stuff first.
What I’ll Bring to Your Post-Apocalyptic Survival Team
- A fierce strength that increases with rage (for RPG folks out there, think Barbarian)
- Handy survival tricks thanks to research for a post-apoc novel (which is not the novel I’m submitting)
- I’m a crazy good shot. Seriously.
+ Bonus: I come with a husband who can fix anything and who others inexplicably and without question defer to in group settings. (Think: your future Rick, but with way less brooding.)
- Grew up in Iowa.
- Lived in Chicago where I went to school and worked freelance in film for eight years.
- Moved up to Madison, WI four years ago, where it’s lovely eight months out of the year and we won’t talk about the other four.
- I have the sweetest Bernese Mountain Dog, Golden Retriever mix who I love to death.
- Also, a
catdemon that chooses to take the form of a cat. (For obvious reasons, she cannot be photographed.)
- I’ve been writing, shooting, and editing movies since I was seven.
- I took up fiction writing a couple years ago, and fell madly in love.
- And here I am!
About My Book (Adult SF)
THE DIVIDE surprised me. I started writing it to distract myself from my first novel (I needed distance before making major revisions). Four months later, I’d written an adult military space opera that I’m super excited about, and
kinda sorta totally love. Took another five months to crush it with some CPs and beta readers, and here we are!
This book has many things:
- Character-driven, high-concept plot
- Commercially accessible hard sci-fi elements
- Time relativity and dilation causing all sorts of problems
- Neurally-linked tech “tattoos” that give the user SUPER STRENGTH
- Strong female characters
- Strong male characters
- Flawed characters
- Characters you’ll love who build a star using ancient alien tech and stop the Universe from collapsing.
A paired-down list. Check out my About page for more!
- AUTHORS: Arthur C. Clarke, Brandon Sanderson, Jim Butcher
- BOOKS: Rendezvous with Rama, Codex Alera, Mistborn Trilogy, The Phantom of the Opera
- MOVIES & TV: Sunshine, Killjoys, Peaky Blinders, Battlestar Galactica, The 100, Buffy, Firefly
- VIDEO GAMES: Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout, Elder Scrolls
- MUSIC: Muse, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, Any/All Classic Rock
- HOBBIES: Reading, Drawing, Video & Board Games, Volleyball
- LIKES: Space!, the Sun, Maps, Thunderstorms
And Finally… Why Pick Me?
- My background in film (and sure, let’s give “Midwest work ethic” some credit too) has taught me to be a crazy hard worker. Need to pull 18-hr days for a week to finish revisions? No problem, I’m on it. When I do something I go all-in, and Pitch Wars will be no exception.
- I’m easygoing and open to change. At the same time, I know what’s strong about the book and I’m confident in the story I’m trying to tell. So I’ll stand my ground when I feel strongly, but I’ll be more than willing to argue about it. 🙂
- I’m 100% in on this book. I love the setting, I love the concept, I love the characters. I daydream fan-fiction style about it. I need to share it with the world.
- I take my writing very seriously. At the same time, I take very little seriously. Writing is fun, writers are fun, collaboration is fun, and I will be fun to work with.